What am I supposed to look at: the wallpaper or the music player UI? Doesn't really matter since I see neither of them worth DD.
The text in the background is difficult to read at first. I see the words clearly, but the way the sentence is built ("to make stylish looking wp") only makes me irritated. If you are trying to get your message through, why not make easier to read? I get it that it is supposed to be clever and all, but it just shoots itself in the leg. It's more ironic and less clever, I think.
And the player UI? It looks too cheap. That ribbon over the UI doesn't fit at all to the rest of the interface -- the little there is to be called "interface".
I agree. It would've looked better with the straight text and more contrast in the bg (I didn't see that it was supposed to be a sky right away) The Type could've been bigger, covering the whole screen and the sky looking through it. This way you'd have the romantic sky feeling (that I noticed quite late) and the type would be easier to read (When I read it the first time my eyes were going into the wrong direction a few times. It didn't take me VERY long, but it was annoying, though) oh, and I don't like the checkered paper in the bg at all!
AygiggsFeatured By OwnerMay 2, 2012Hobbyist Digital Artist
We'll i read it perfectly at first glance, i don't know how or why but my eye just seemed to follow word after word making sense of the sentence... Maybe your inability to read it says something about you... "Design is what you do when you don't yet know what you are doing"
It also helps you when you know what it's going to say beforehand. Me....yeah right.
Me: "The fuck....? Design is when you what....um, doing you what don't yet.....Design is when you what you are doing.....Do you are doing....? Design is you do what....What the fuck, I can't read this!"
The words are not structured in a way to read smoothly for the eyes. The eyes naturally jump to the top "Design is..", but then the brain gets confused as to which way to read. Most writing styles either go from left to right (us English folk), right to left (your Middle East and Asian people), and top to bottom (your Asian and English folk), but I have yet to see anyone read down to top.
Just a couple of pointers for Mr. Megi:
- "Design is what you...", read from left to right. Easy enough. But because the "what" is rolling on its side, it tends to throw people off, like me.
- "...you do...", read top to bottom. Do is on the right below "you", which is another throw-off point for those of us who like reading left to right. Plus, it doesn't help "Do" is on its side. Again. (what, are these words drunk or something?)
- "...do when you don't yet..." Alright, this is a doozy. "Do" is on the right, but as soon as you hit the bottom, you have to go left and up to read the next part, "when you". Okay, similar to the way Japanese write their Kanji, but for others (like many Americans), we look at that and go "WTF?" and read "do you are doing" and try to follow the more comfortable path. Another throw-off. And getting to the next part, "don't yet..." is read top to bottom, but is squished between two larger words. The eyes lean more towards the larger "what" (like I did), and not the poor dwarfs stuck in a corner. Also....they're on their side. Again. Brain likes to play skip-jump over the "odd-looking" and "make-no-sense" words. (<- Actual proven theory.)
- "...Don't yet know...", top to bottom, left to right. It looks fine on this corner. No complaints.
- "...know what..." And we're back to looking at each other with WTF faces. I know what I said that the eyes head towards bigger words than smaller, but there are exceptions. You have "know you are", which is read left to right (pleasing on the eye), but you also have "know what", reading top to down, another eye pleaser. But I personally got confused over here because my preference for reading goes: left/right > top/bottom = bigger/smaller == Confused as hell. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that reads like that.
- "...know what you are doing." Another doozy. "Know" and "what" are read top/bottom (which is fine if you didn't get confused and tried to read "know you are doing"), but then you have have jump over "know" to read "you are doing", and poor primitive brains and eyeballs can't handle that very well. At least you went left/right for it. Thank you for giving our small brains what little break it was allowed while trying to read this...thing.
Okay, long review. I know. I doubt you're gonna read it. But if you did, thank you. No, really! Just...don't act like some people and go "ad$*$@dkad$@#$/This person's a bitch. I know what I'm doing/It was intended to look like that. If you don't like it, fuck you", alright? Please?
Sorry but I have to agree with 9Skulls and ModernDrift here: Bad Design. Fix it or do something else, but please don't try to melt our eyeballs with this stuff. It's only fair. We don't melt your eyeballs with our stuff. (At least most of us, anyway. >_>)
Aygiggs: What? "Inability to read?" I can read just fine, heck probably even faster than you and still get an A+ on a reading test. -_- This isn't a question of "inability to read", but rather "our preference to reading". You may be comfortable reading in this format, but for some of us, it's not the case. Please, unless you want to get on my bad side, stop trying to call everyone "stupid". Directly or indirectly.
AygiggsFeatured By OwnerMay 3, 2012Hobbyist Digital Artist
this is about Proper Arguments?? your the one who cried cuz you couldn't read a simple sentence... and that's all i needed to say to you, it was done after that. no need to bring up a correlation between ponies and credibility, because we know how that goes...
Pfff...what are you going to do if I don't?Caps lock me to death? It was a simple question,stupid,I simply wanted to know why you thought that,nothing else.I'm not looking for a fight,though I don't see why you even commented if you hate it....